Declaration on Missional Solution for Economic Crisis
(Korean-Inter Missions Network: Church and Mission Leadership Conference, March 23-26, Atlanta, GA)
As we face the world-wide economic crisis, 4th Annual Global Church and Mission Leadership Conference was held at Korean Community Presbyterian Church in Atlanta, Georgia on March 23 to 26, 2009. We give praise and glory to God for this chance of spiritual growth in the midst of economic crisis, and to Christ who is our guidance of creation and the rightful author of history and mission. We pledge the following:
- Through this economic crisis, we repent of our mammon-based sins of pride, debauchery, luxury, waste, and disobedience to God; we pledge to restore our fundamental mission of salvation of mankind through the Resurrection and the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ; and confess with faith that God is in control to sublimate the current crisis in momentum of revival and expansion of mission through spiritual renewal and recovery.
- We will seek Holy Spirit led leadership, dedicating ourselves to the Word of God, prayer, and spiritual discipline; and we will fervently preach the Gospel of the Kingdom, and not the gospel of the world, to believers who are facing the economic crisis, leading them to deeper devotion to the Lord’s Great Commandment.
- We firmly believe that the restoration of prayer is the definitive key to break through this economic crisis. We pledge to deploy a strategic intercessory prayer movement specifically to embrace the United States and all nations.
- We pledge to restore the spirit of stewardship to use our Lord-given finances more faithfully, turning away from materialistic-centered missions, which have caused many problems like dependency among the indigenous churches and individualistic missions, and change our direction to cooperative and united missions.
- We pledge to focus our strength on building missional infrastructures to mobilize effective use of resources and dynamic forces; and to turn our focus to growth for the mission instead of growth for survival, enabling any church, regardless of its size, to join the mission forces, and to connect church to church.
- We pledge to share the load of suffering caused by the current economic crisis, to continue financial support for the ongoing of missional ministries, and to rearrange our overall financial support instead of discontinuing it to specific missionaries and mission fields.
- We believe that mission does not depend on materials and belongs to God. We believe that our faithful God will use us continually, in spite of the current economic crisis, for the expansion of His Kingdom, and anticipate that He will provide our needs according to His goodness. We pledge to give ourselves fully in dependence on God with a ‘faith mission’ for His divine world mission.
March 26, 2009